Londinistan has all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
7
2018-05-17 21:51:00 UTC
Londinistan has all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.

I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.

Great progress for Mayor Sickdik Kan't.

Still he does manage to get on Blooomberg TeeVee and advertise how
great London is for tech cumpanies (complete with veiled threats
about playing by his made up rules - example Uber).

Is it time to give London a big miss for tech companies?
tim...
2018-05-18 08:39:03 UTC
Post by 7
Londinistan has all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3

tim
johnny-knowall
2018-05-18 09:53:31 UTC
-------
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
tim
And if you believe anything in the Evening Standard, the total ought to be
way higher than 300 by now

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/number-of-electric-car-charging-points-
in-london-to-double-a3602891.html
7
2018-05-19 09:50:46 UTC
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
johnny-knowall
2018-05-19 13:09:12 UTC
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
The majority of which do not own an electric vehicle, thus have no need for a
charging station.

Plus many of those wealthy enough to own an electric car, also own a home
electrical supply and can charge their vehicles at home while they sleep.
7
2018-05-19 13:19:36 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
The majority of which do not own an electric vehicle
Let me fix that for you troll...

The majority of which will be 100% electric vehicle owners by law
soon or be without cars.

Fitting 300 charging points a day for next 20 years not enough
for Londinistanies.

Londinistani mayor screaming and government screaming diesel pollution.

All of them just peachy words as government trolls often do.
tim...
2018-05-19 18:13:26 UTC
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last 5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
The majority of which do not own an electric vehicle
Let me fix that for you troll...
The majority of which will be 100% electric vehicle owners by law
soon or be without cars.
government wishful thinking that they will have to back track on before the
date arrives.

Government simply don't have the resources to install a charging station
outside of every house in all suburban streets that don't have off road
parking

and leaving these people car-less will be the route to being turfed out of
office

tim
johnny-knowall
2018-05-19 18:25:09 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the last
5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
The majority of which do not own an electric vehicle
Let me fix that for you troll...
The majority of which will be 100% electric vehicle owners by law
soon or be without cars.
government wishful thinking that they will have to back track on before the
date arrives.
Government simply don't have the resources to install a charging station
outside of every house in all suburban streets that don't have off road
parking
Why not? There are street lights in suburbia, so the power cables must be
there already. The only thing they need to add is the charger.
tim
tim...
2018-05-20 07:40:24 UTC
johnny-knowall
2018-05-20 09:25:20 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
I've seen all 3 electric car charging stations installed in the
last
5 years.
except that there is somewhat nearer 300, than 3
Wow all 300 for 8 million people.
The majority of which do not own an electric vehicle
Let me fix that for you troll...
The majority of which will be 100% electric vehicle owners by law
soon or be without cars.
government wishful thinking that they will have to back track on before the
date arrives.
Government simply don't have the resources to install a charging station
outside of every house in all suburban streets that don't have off road
parking
Why not? There are street lights in suburbia, so the power cables must be
there already. The only thing they need to add is the charger.
even if the power supply to the lighting isn't limited, which many think
that it is
1) lamps are far less frequent that one per house
2) It isn't as simple as just adding a plug to the lighting housing
The charger is a substantial bit of kit to stop someone hacking into it, and
it has to includes a mechanism for charging the user
Well yes, I understand that - but surely all it takes is the willpower to get
on with it.

I am sure those companies who manufacture parking meters would love the
chance to tender for a charging point based on the basic meter design, with a
small scanner for debit card or mobile phone payment.

Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging points
have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are already there.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and whether
they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
tim...
2018-05-20 09:50:33 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
[...]
no

it takes money

how much do you think it will cost to install two - three million street
chargers to service this "don't have a drive" market?
Post by johnny-knowall
I am sure those companies who manufacture parking meters would love the
chance to tender for a charging point based on the basic meter design, with a
small scanner for debit card or mobile phone payment.
parking meters don't usually have main power connected

they are also tiny compared with a commercial electric charger
Post by johnny-knowall
Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging points
have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are already there.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and whether
they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
you are not the first person to have suggested it, thus it is not the first
time that I have seen it discussed

and better people than me concluded that it is impractical
Joe
2018-05-20 11:38:35 UTC
On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:50:33 +0100
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by johnny-knowall
Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging
points have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are
already there.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and
whether they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was
just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
you are not the first person to have suggested it, thus it is not the
first time that I have seen it discussed
and better people than me concluded that it is impractical
Take a step further back. When will the extra power stations be built,
and with what fuel?
Joe
johnny-knowall
2018-05-20 13:12:33 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Londinistan has all 3 electric car charging stations
installed
in
the
last 5 years.
---
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by johnny-knowall
Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging
points have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are
already there.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and
whether they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was
just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
you are not the first person to have suggested it, thus it is not the
first time that I have seen it discussed
and better people than me concluded that it is impractical
Take a step further back. When will the extra power stations be built,
and with what fuel?
Why would extra power stations be needed?

UK demand rarely exceeds 30GW overnight, compared to a maximum capacity of
~55GW.
johnny-knowall
2018-05-20 13:18:26 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by 7
-----
Post by tim...
Post by 7
[...]
How much did it cost to install 2 million parking meters?

After a while they pay for themselves.
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
I am sure those companies who manufacture parking meters would love the
chance to tender for a charging point based on the basic meter design, with a
small scanner for debit card or mobile phone payment.
parking meters don't usually have main power connected
So what? As I have said repeatedly the power cables must be there.

Is it beyond the limited intelligence of the average British human to adapt
to anything other than what they see already in the street?
Post by tim...
they are also tiny compared with a commercial electric charger
I have a car battery charger in my garage. It is about the size of a
shoe-box.
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging points
have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are already there.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and whether
they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
you are not the first person to have suggested it, thus it is not the first
time that I have seen it discussed
and better people than me concluded that it is impractical
Ok. It was only a suggestion. So you have argued that it is a rubbish one.
What do you want? A gold star and for me to top myself through public
humiliation?

Sorry, but you are going to be very disappointed.
tim...
2018-05-20 15:04:29 UTC
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
they are also tiny compared with a commercial electric charger
I have a car battery charger in my garage. It is about the size of a
shoe-box.
which you only use on your premises and which you only use when you are in
control of the on/off switch

street charging stations have to be robust enough to withstand attack from
vandals and secure enough for people not to be able to break into them to
get their charge up for free
Post by johnny-knowall
Post by tim...
Post by johnny-knowall
Just because the lamps are well spaced doesn’t mean the charging points
have to be. My post was pointing out that the cables are already there.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the supply to street lamps and whether
they would be able to cope with higher currents; but it was just a thought. I
think it is called practical use of imagination.
you are not the first person to have suggested it, thus it is not the first
time that I have seen it discussed
and better people than me concluded that it is impractical
Ok. It was only a suggestion. So you have argued that it is a rubbish one.
What do you want? A gold star and for me to top myself through public
humiliation?
Sorry, but you are going to be very disappointed.
just you wait and see

by the time 2025 is here, and the take up of electric vehicles is not on
track for complete obliteration of other vehicles by 2040 (or whatever date
they set) TPTB will have to review this nonsense decision that they have
taken on a whim, without thinking through how they are actually going to get
there

A tiny tiny percentage of all new cars are electric only. Aspirations to
make that 100% just by waving a magic wand are doomed to failure

tim